09 May 2011

in a past life

A long time ago, I used to work in the publishing industry. As a writer and scholar, and a really bad college student, I had a lot of trouble choosing a career. My other English major friends went into teaching on the college level. I didn't like school enough to continue on for a Master's degree or PhD so that I could be a professor. I didn't like the nasty competitiveness for tenure and I didn't know if I liked teaching all that much, especially to overgrown, overly spoiled punks who spent all their time partying. So, I skipped out of Graduate school and went to work in business. It took a while to figure out that I still loved education, still loved books, and still wanted to be an author myself. Why not "publishing" as a career??

After 10 years in book publishing, I had a baby and ditched that, too. Oh well.

No comments: