25 December 2010

Christmas Day at Starbucks

There's something so comforting about a mocha latte on Christmas Day.

I worked at a Starbucks, briefly, a few years ago, and, at the time, endured my brother's screed about the "corporate coffee shop" and the evil monotony and far-reaching greed that lies therein. But, my experience as an employee, as well as the many years I have spent as a patron of Starbucks, has engendered within me a true a appreciation for the loud espresso machines, jovial college students, low playing music (CDs on sale at the front!) and overpriced but uniquely delicious drinks and treats. It's a great hangout for me on a off-kilter Christmas . . . and my Christmas cheer has finally returned. Free wi-fi, comfortable arm chair, cool jazzy Christmas music, yummy stuff to eat & Derek reading quietly while everyone else is very LOUD . . . just like home!!!

In this moment, I want to send all my love to Mashe and my new friends worldwide . . . wishing you a wonderful day and a prosperous and beautiful new year. I'll drink a cup to Elorm Beenie, a wonderful poet and storyteller from Ghana, on the publication of his first book . . . out very soon. Boomshot to Mr. Cross!!! Much love to Ras Chuma, Rosanna Silvestro, and Rasta Reuben . . . my new friends in Jah's love & reggae one-ness. Facebook has been such a great way to meet some wonderful people and continue the work of sharing our love for God in whatever ways we find uplifting. A season of happiness is at hand, and I am hopeful that our world will know peace at last.

My loneliness of yesterday has finally blossomed into an awareness of how I always feel this time of year . . . when I remember the lessons of childhood and smile as every year rings them more and more true. Jesus truly does "love the little children, all the children of the world." Once again, I sing along to the 70's coca-cola advertising jingle, and renew my wish "to see the world at once, all standing hand in hand." I await the "Peace Train" and the "Mother and Child Reunion" promised to us so convincingly by the folk & soul singers. I was too young for Woodstock & the "summer of love" . . . but I joined the revolutionary peace activists in my heart at a very young age & will never let that hope die.

Thank you, Baba, that I found my holiday spirit finally and can remember the truth of what this day really means to me. Forgive me, friends, if I have felt sorry for myself while so many others suffer. Let's keep love, hope, forgiveness, and peace, first and foremost in our hearts . . . now and forever more. And, remember, when you are feeling down, there's nothing better sometimes than a good cup of coffee.

1 comment:

dsm32 said...

here's to quiet reading in cafés all around the world! peace through sharing coffee!