23 October 2010

The Awakener

Symbols of the world's religions


GIFT OF GRACE

Mary Backett


We first met Baba at Kitty Davy's home in London (April, 1932). He was seated in a small room at the top of the house, surrounded by some close devotees. They did not hear me enter, but Baba sprang up with the agility, power and grace that characterize all his movements and came quickly forward. He then signed me to sit beside him — and took my hand with that gentle touch we know so well.

Immediately I felt a great upliftment of consciousness, such as I had never experienced with anyone before.

I had been searching and reading deeply for many years and knew that now I had found the Master and that the long search was over.

He gave me more, far more, in the space of three minutes than I had gained in thirty years of earnest seeking or through others, because I experienced the tangible, definite gift of Grace and Divine Love that he bestowed, whereas others could only talk about it. I knew who Baba is. It was the great event of my life to meet him.

It was at Mabel and Margaret's flat a short time later that I met Baba for the second time, and Baba on this evening, to my unspeakable joy, relief and surprise, definitely took us (Will and I) under his own guidance. It is difficult to realize that there was a time when he was not consciously in our life.

Some of the most wonderful experiences we have had have been in watching Baba's ways of helping those who come to him for help. Such diverse people with such diverse troubles and needs — and to each he gives with surety and certainty, out of his Divine Wisdom and Love, what is needed.

To see his life of Love and Divine Perfection is the greatest assurance and strength and to watch the change of character in oneself and in others is the surest proof of his work.

From Spain Baba sent me a small stone and a sprig of herb, and as I held the stone I was conscious of the gift of Grace sent with it, bathing one in its consciousness.

The same conscious feeling comes with every letter Baba sends and is spoken of by numbers of those who received letters from him.


THE AWAKENER MAGAZINE, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 5-6, ed Filis Frederick

No comments: