02 November 2010

Losing Friends

There's an interesting thing you can do if you are a member of Facebook. To be in the Facebook network, you collect links to different people by making them your friends. All it takes is a "friend request" and a "confirmation" from the person on the other end. It's really fun, and I have started going around finding new people to make my friends. It was a global search, really, and brought me to a really cool bunch of people from Kenya.

Well, lo and behold, hidden away among this crowd of people was my jewel. He's a wonderful man, and he was so sweet to me. I ignored him for a really long time while he was very painfully searching for a new relationship. But, all of a sudden, he asked *me* if *I* was his "true love!!" I couldn't believe it. It was the coolest thing I had ever seen. I am all the way around the world, and I was just having fun learning about some new friends. I never expected a man from that culture to be interested in me.

In America, we get all kinds of warnings about "meeting foreigners on line." Inevitably, they warn us, these people only want "our money" or they want to "come here" because America is so great . . . not because they really love you. In fact, I told a few people about this new guy who was interested in me, and I got the same DIRE warnings about "foreigners."

But, he didn't WANT to come here. He kept asking *me* to go *there!* And, I was really thinking about it. America hasn't been that great to me, in fact, she has hurt me terribly with her judgments and hypocrisy. I don't play the American game very well, at all. So, finally, after quite a while of this wrangle, I told him YES. I want to come to Kenya.

oops. Big mistake, ladies. Don't show that you are too interested in your guy. They really only like the "chase." Once they have you, all the fun is over for them. Now, they have the right to pick apart all your faults and drive you away. Well, he did THAT too, and now he has done something really mean in Facebook world. He un-friended me.

It's a shame, really. It would have been fun. I hope Mashe thinks a lot about how he REALLY feels about this. Because, I really like him a lot, and I would totally re-friend him if he asked. Any time.

No comments: