13 August 2010

Truth in Pain

Adi K. Irani wrote, in one of the Letters From the Mandali (Meher Baba's close disciples who handled his correspondence):

"Welcome the gifts of effacement of the false self that He offers even though it hurts. In coming to Him, everything dear to us — our friends, our concept of the spiritual path, everything — has to be taken away leaving only Him. Believe me, nothing that anyone has done to you has been done with malice. Each thing done by those who seemed to have hurt you were done out of the sincerity of their perspective of how to serve Baba, no matter how limited that perspective might be.
        This doesn't mean that your feelings of being hurt are not genuine. It is just that we have to grant the sincerity of the motive of others. The nature of the spiritual path is that two people who disagree can both be right. You see, only He is right and everyone else at best has only partial glimpses of the Truth.
        You have been blessed because, in the pain of what you have experienced, a new enthusiasm to reach Him and fall only at His feet has been born in you. This is what is important. Don't dwell on the past, don't be bitter about what has happened, but strive with all your heart to be His. Give yourself completely to Him. He is responsible for your spiritual welfare, don't be concerned about anything else. Remember Him, and automatically you forget yourself."

This has been a quite important reading for me today. It has allowed me to open my heart — in a momentarily small way . . . but as a hugely important beginning — to resentments that have been lingering and causing me pain. I really must remember to "grant the sincerity of the motive of others" and find forgiveness.

In dealing with almost anybody else in my life, forgiveness has been easy to offer and exceedingly natural. I have forgiven "enemies" of all stripes . . . ex-lovers, old friends and coworkers, people who have stolen from me, people who have brought litigation against me . . . occasionally it has taken sincere effort and prayer, but it happens without a care in the end. Today, I am realizing that it is impossible for me to go on ignoring this need in relation to several family members with whom I am in conflict. With those so near and dear, however, the pain of a lifetime of shattered hopes and needs is almost unbearable to overcome. When faced with the realization that there is nowhere else to go but within myself for love and healing . . . and that with bitter blood in my heart, there is not enough room for these tonics . . . I realize, finally, how much I am causing my own pain.

It is a small thing to say, but with deep sincerity, I offer forgiveness in two ways. 1) I forgive myself for being angry. 2) I grant the sincerity of the motives of others, and pray (at Baba's feet) for the ability to forgive them for misunderstanding me.

I want to run away from this entry immediately, so that I may fall on the floor and cry. But, I want to say this first . . . for anyone who doubts the power in the words and the example of Meher Baba and those who love him sincerely . . . you are missing the Truth in living.

8 comments:

कृषि समाधान said...

Avatar Meher Baba Ji Ki Jai....
Regards
Chandar Meher

Baba Ran said...

Thank you, friend. Jai Baba.

Mickey Karger said...

Very thoughtful and well-composed new blog. Have been a follower of Meher Baba since 1967...now how did that happen? Just glad it did.
Goof work...best...Mickey Karger.

Baba Ran said...

Thank you so much for the compliment, Mickey! I will be reading your poetry blog carefully . . . it looks like great stuff!!!
Baba has been beleaguering me since 1999 . . . I am so crazy in love/hate with Him that it is exhausting most of the time!!!
In the words of the immortal Billy Joel, "S(H)e cuts you once, s(H)e cuts you twice, and still you believe . . . "
Ah well. Jai Baba, friend!!

Mick Karger said...

" I am so crazy in love/hate with Him that it is exhausting most of the time!!!"

A very apt description of the razor's edge that is knowing and (trying to) love and honor Him...tough stuff...

BTW...how did you know about the poetry blog? I guess we're all linked...

Anyway, great to make your aquaintance...Mick.

Baba Ran said...

I checked out your blogspot profile, which has links to your personal blogs & blogs you are following. I am finding this pattern of "links" to be great tool now that I have joined "blog world." It is very interesting to me to see "what and who" is part of the new world of ideas . . . especially for those who show some interest in what I am writing. Particularly, I love to read poetry, so I am honored to get the chance to see what you have written.
It is quite a pleasure to meet you, too. :-)

Mick Karger said...

Barbara, you're way ahead of me in computing skills...

And...I'm honored to check out your writings as well. Once upon a time, poets DID get published; now, I guess the best we can do is offer our work to the world in blog spots and pdfs...this is NOT a world I recognize!

Pleasure meeting you as well...Mick.

Baba Ran said...

Funny!

My writer's group told me over a year ago that no publisher would ever buy my novel because there is "too much poetry." Eventually I will post it all . . . 76 stanzas all together!! It's the "novel" part that has me stumped these days & is waiting in the wings.

Oh well. I'm not meant to have an easy road financially in this lifetime, anyway, so I'm better off, I believe, just giving it away.

By the way, I LOVE your poetry, Mikey. I'm blown away, particularly so far, by "In Strong and Bright October" . . . but this has stuck with me clearly since I read it earlier today, as well:

I’ve peeled back the layers with ten-thousand prayers
And when I think I’ve reached the core
Comes grief, distress, and misery
Not the less, but even more.


Great stuff!!!